Oh what a day!
Today I was up at 5.00am, hurtling down the road to Suswa to start the day with the team. The rain started pouring in Nairobi at 5.45am and caused the usual Nairobi chaotic traffic jam.
The team was up and rearing to go, yet another day on the road pounding the tarmac. The weather  was dull but remained dry throughout the walk. They made good time and arrived in Mai Mahiu by 3pm. Today Nyangi and Philip felt the strain of the walk as their knees complained loudly.
While the team on the ground was going about doing their thing, and I was all over coodinating logistics, my sister, bless her soul, got friends and family together and they donated food supplies to the team. They shopped, got into the cars and drove all the way to Mai Mahiu, presented the foodstuff, made a wonderful meal for all of us and even threw in a massage for the team!!! Three cheers to Lydia, Zipporah, Moraa, Irene and Jeff!
The visit was priceless. They cheered up the whole team and made everyone smile. This reminded the team just how much their sacrifice was valued and spurred them on to complete the walk.
And then there is Joy. As her name suggests, she showed up, a bundle of positive energy, all packaged in a skinny frame. She took a shuttle from Kisii and caught up with the team on the road.  She marched along with them  to camp, a 9km stretch, without as much as a complaint. She has lit up camp, tidies up after everyone for couldn't bear to see dirt or disorder, and spread so much cheer. Dan, our chef, was having a day off! He didn't have to cook, neither did he have to clean up.
As I lie in my sleeping bag listening to the trucks rolling down the escarpment, warm as toast in my hood and woolen socks (again, thanks sis for finding me those), I thank God, this far he has brought us. I pray that well wishers will continue to stand with us, as we stand for the woman, cervical cancer shall be eradicated. That's a certainty!
Nbosire1

Nbosire1

Underneath the white coat is a woman, with a deep appreciation for the simple joys of life. Happy to share my experiences and musings with you through my work and life!

Post A Comment:

0 comments: