This year, my friends and I turned 35!
Yes, to the world of obstetrician/gynaecologists, we have crossed the proverbial line into elderly gravidae - meaning pregnacy at this age going forward is already categorized as high risk by virtue of our birthdays! All three of us are gynaecologists by profession so we don't need to be told what additional baggage we come with,  should we choose motherhood from now on!
As doctors, we have a common professional background. As individuals, we have our diversity in thought and beliefs and this is what binds us together.  We often argue about motherhood  and  it is interesting how we have such different opinions on the topic. One of us is blessed with two adorable children whom we all love, the rest of us haven't walked that path yet and for various  reasons.
Growing up as the last born in a large family of eight, I inherited the role of the babysitting aunt. I remember the excitement when my oldest nephew was born. I was nine years old. Having grown up with dolls and no real babies around, I couldn't wait to meet this precious new being who would call me aunt. It was a highly exalted position among my peers as none of them had siblings old enough to be parents.  I felt like I had won the lottery and they were all green with envy.
I first held my nephew when he was two weeks old. He was the cutest thing I had ever laid eyes on and he smelt heveanly. I wouldn't put him down even when he slept and when my sister managed to prise him off my arms, I would sneak to his cot to stare at him breathing softly with the occassional puzzling smile that I've come to learn is present in all sleeping babies. Then I just thought he was sharing a private joke with the angels in his dreams. It was love at first sight.
I spent all my school holidays baby-sitting my nephew and learnt more mommy things than most moms do. My sister is a perfectionist and I learnt how to  prepare his food, feed and burp him, change soiled nappies (yes, diapers didn't exist in Kenya then!), bathe and dress him, rock him to sleep on my back and put him down to sleep. I still get puzzled at how my sister had so much confidence in me at such a tender age but the experience horned my mothering instincts to date.
By the time her second baby came, a beautiful princess,  I was thirteen and hooked onto her instead of discovering boys. At four days old I took her under my care as my sister battled a mild case of post-natal blues. I even slept with her some nights and only took her to breastfeed. I cried when I had to go to high school and leave her behind. She was already a feisty baby with the promise of taking over the world. She has grown up to prove me right!
Suffice it to say, I have fifteen nephews and nieces and save for a few, I have been in their lives at some point, taking up a parental role for one reason or the other. I have dealt with the tough nights when the fevers won't break and the bed is soaked with vomit, I have slept in hospital ward beds with one eye open praying for their recovery, I have had my clothes soiled with all manner of fluids from the little ones' insides and I lived though it. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world because all of it comes interspersed with the cuddliest of hugs, the warmest of kisses and the most mind-boggling of laughter, love and adoration. I have loved and been loved back in equal measure.
I am not sure what else I would be missing in motherhood save for the biological process. I am amused that despite being a gynaecologist who loves adolescent health, when it comes to my niece,  I still hesitate and question myself as I attempt to walk with her through puberty, thelarche and menstruation. I feel deeply wounded when one of my little ones  is exposed to bullying or anything that sets back their self esteem. I have learnt to be firm and unrelenting in correcting them so as to make them better people. My heart swells with maternal pride when they mark life's achievements one by one and I have taken a host of pictures to document every key moment I caught up with.
I am thankful I grew up in a close-knit family that allowed me to share in my little ones' lives. In my own way, I have the full benefit of the pleasure and pain of parenting despite giving my womb rest for thirty five years. I much more grateful that I have always had choice of what to do, or not to do, with my biological endowment. As a doctor, I fully well have a good idea of the pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding processes in a woman. So far, they haven't been my cup of tea but it is great to know that I can change my mind tomorrow and my girlfriends shall worry about this newly acquired risk of mine while I kick back and enjoy the looks of shock on the faces of my relatives who long ago concluded that I am infertile!



Nbosire1

Nbosire1

Underneath the white coat is a woman, with a deep appreciation for the simple joys of life. Happy to share my experiences and musings with you through my work and life!

Post A Comment:

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice piece. The only downside being that you waited till you reached 35 to realize you have a choice to use your womb or not. I pray the risks we attach to the "elderly gravidae" don't affect you when you will decide to put your womb to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said my sister. God has created us with the power to choose. Enjoy the privilege

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece Nelly. You are a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! We(women) be should be allowed to make these life choices more critically and not bow to societal norms of what is proper by people or medical definitions and deal with the judgment of being an outlier. Parenting (biological or otherwise)is too great a responsibility to be nothing but an intentional move. Power to you ma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece.Pls dont end the bloodline. Spread the genes. Even one copy of you is good enough...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.You are blessed to have shared such love and life with family and their children.The choice is yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice piece doc. Many have 'used' their wombs yet have not experienced motherhood. I can attest to your loving nature to kids... Choice is one of the constants in life. Take your time to make a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one.
    Don't worry about when to put the womb into use,I did it at 37 then later at 42.While the risks are talked about,I have carried my pregnancies like a 23 yr old.no complications...even surprisinng the docs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations.You are an inspiration to this generation.Your future is bright.You are passionate and that is what is needed in life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don’t think of anything else just contact Dr Abalaka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to conceive due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the Priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Dr Abalaka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Dr on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    Fibroid
    High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
    Diabetes
    Infection, regular body pains
    Blockage from the fallopian Tube
    Cyst from the ovaries
    Unpleasant smell from the virginal
    Irregular menstruation
    Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
    Infertility for easy Conception.......
    Erectile dysfunction treatment
    Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Get your ex back
    Happiness in relationship
    Command respect in the society
    Enlarge your Penis/breast with no side effect
    Impotent solution
    Obesity solution
    Romanticism solutions
    Cancer of the blood
    Epilepsy
    Parkinson disease
    General consultation
    Those are the things he does, You can simply contact the spiritualist Dr Abalaka on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ReplyDelete